Thursday 1 November 2012

Chicken breast and a gratin

Hello
It's another and a fresh new month. As I have already told you most of my cooking is normally inspired by Jamie Oliver , so today I am going to be cooking one of his meals. It's from his new series 15 minutes meals. Well I'm sure I won't be quick as that, probably will take me 30 mins or so . Can't wait to try it as it looks delicious and after all , chicken and bacon are always in winner in my house ;)
Well I might change a few bits from the way he done, not because I don't like it as it is, but for the simple reason I like to experiment and make it a bit my own, in a way . (Oh I just remembered that I didn't upload a picture of yesterday's dinner silly me.)

Total time: 55mins
preperation: 20 mins
cooking:  35 mins
Level : meduim
serves 4





Ingredients

For the Gratin

5 big potatoes
2 medium onions
1 vegetable cube
Parmesan for topping
1 tub single cream
olive oil

For the Chicken

4 chicken breast (halved and opened like a book)
Rosemary
4 rashers streaky bacon

Side Dish

3 leeks
a cup of peas
200g spinach
a big knob of butter



I always start by preparing everything I will need. Take all the ingredients out and place them ready to be used on the bench. Wash the potatoes as I'm going to leave the skin on and slice them as thin as I can. Then halved my chicken breast so that I make them thinner , therefore quicker to cook. Slice the onions (I hate this bit, they always make me cry badly) and leeks finely and the thinly chop the bacon. I do take my time while chopping, so probably took me more then 20 min! But I'm in no particular rush generally.

So now after all the chopping and slicing is done, I can get started.

Preheat the oven on 190 degrees. A pan for frying the chicken , another for the onions, a pot with lid for the greens and an oven dish for the gratin .  Fry gently your onions in some oil, and tip in the oven dish when nice and soft. layer with your potatoes and tip in some single cream, about 150ml water mixed with the stock cube. Then sprinkle over some golden bread crumbs , pepper scatter some rosemary and  cover with Parmesan cheese. Stick in the oven for about an hour.

Get a pot with a lid and melt a nice good knob of butter, put the leeks in and make sure they are well coted in the butter. Add some seasoning and cover for about 6-10 mins , but keep an eye on it as it might catch . And stir it every 2-3 mins. Then add the peas and leave for another 3 minutes till soft and chuckk all the spinach in and cover again. it will easily wilt. Make sure you do all this on a low heat.

Heat up so oil in a pan and make sure it's piping hot before you put your chicken in. They won't take long to cook. Leave until nice and brown on both sides.
Serve the chicken on the bed of greens and with the gratin on the side. Enjoy!

Sorry no pictures today as it slipped out of my mind :/


 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment