Friday 2 November 2012

Bangers and Mash with an onion gravy

I want to appologise myself again, for yesterday. I got carried away and forgot to take a picture!
Admitingliy I was looking at christmas dinner and what to cook. Yes I know Me and food!! I can never get enough of it. I like eating nearly as much as love cooking. Have you planned your   Christmas dinner yet? Well I have an idea of what I'll be cooking, and no not telling you just yet!
Today it's Friday as you all now and friday's normally my lazy cooking day. So normally I go for something quick and not much effort put into it.
I have some good quality sausages which I will serve with a nice creamy mash , peas and a delicoius homemade onion gravy with a nice warm baguette to go with it!

Total time: 30/40 mins
preperation ; 15/25 mins
cooking : 15 mins
Level : easy
Serves four





Ingredients


12 good quality sausages
6 medium potatoes
2 onions
1tbsp Dijon mustard
1tbsp plain flour
1 vegetable stock cube
A cup of peas
Baguette
2 good knobs of butter
150ml of milk
A pinch of nutmeg
Olive oil
Seasoning
Soy sauce
Horse raddish




Turn your grill on moderate heat, pile your sausages neatly on a tray and put under the grill. Follow instructions on your pack . But normally it will take about 15 /20 mins to cook. Make sure to keep an eye on them and turn them to brown all over.
Prepare your potatoes . Peel them and chop roughly, put in some boiling water and leave to cook until nice soft and fluffy. When done , drain them and add butter , before start mashing and then add the milk slowly until u get the nice consistency of your desire, I add some double cream to mine to make it a bit more creamy and finish with a pinch of grated nutmeg and a dolop of horse raddish for that extra taste .

For the gravy

Chop your onions and stick them into a nice hot sizzling pan, turn your heat down. And keeping an eye on then leave them soften for about 10 mins. Cooking them like this it releases the natural sugar of the onion. But you don't want them brown. Add the mustard and stir for 30 seconds. Add the plain flour and leave until it goes a bit brown. don't worry if it sticks a bit , it will all melt away when you add your stock. So now add the stock and simmer until thick to your desire. Just before you turn it off add a nice splash of soy sauce.  Season and pour into a gravy bowl. And there you go onion and mustard gravy.

Happy Friday ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment