Monday 17 December 2012

Toad In The Hole

Well if you are following a diet , and don't eat many fats, then this is not for you. It is so yummy. Well obviously, all the fatty greasy stuff is always tasty. Sausages are good, we all like them . Bangers and mash , sort of but with Yorkshire puddings! I have tried this recipe a few times before I actually nailed it. But I never give up and I kept on trying . It was always eatable when I done it , just not right or perfect. I am proud to say that this time they came the best. I found that using a big enough tray with more surface area, helped a little . Just a tip , I done a big batter as I had 12 sausages. Calculating your batter is easy. Just remember what ever amount of flour you have has to be same amount of milk.  Ex: 100ml - milk, 100g flour. I find it even better to half the flour. Half plain flour and half self raising flour. As it help it rise :)

For the batter

200g plain flour
200g self rasing flour
400ml of milk
4 eggs
salt

Ingredients

12 sausages

For The Onion Gravy

2 onions
2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp powder mustard
400ml warm vegetable stock
2 tbsp plain flour
Seasoning

To serve

1 tin of baked beans
Mash
Broccoli


Method

Start with your batter, I like to leave sit for an hour or two before using. I read many different recipes. Everyone says it different, but I found it really works when left to rest before using it. Mix the plain flour and raising flour together in a large bowl . I use half and half to help the yorkshire pudding rise. Add the eggs one by one and beat gently. Add the milk , season and set aside. I left mine two hours. If you don't have enough time even leaving for 30 minutes makes a difference.

 
Preheat your oven on 200 degrees. In an oven proof dish put about 1cm of sunflower oil. Put in the oven and leave until it all starts to boil. I cover the base of the oven as this splashes a lot and makes a mess. No one likes to scrub an oven too much ! Cover with foil or put a big dish on the bottom. When the oil is very hot, gently put in your sausages and cook. It will take around 15 minutes. Take it out again  and carefully pour in the batter. Back in the oven for 20/25 minutes. It is important you don't open the oven before this point. As the yorkshire puddings won't rise then ! While all this is cooking away in the oven , you can start your onion gravy. I use a measuring jug to mix it all in. Get the Worcestershire sauce, the powder mustard and stir them into your hot stock. Fry gently your onions for ten minutes until soft. Mix the flour in with the onions and cook for a further minute. Add the mixture you prepared in the jug. Stir well , bring to a boil and cook until thick and dense . Serve with your sausages .

No comments:

Post a Comment