Tuesday 4 December 2012

Baked Macaroni (pasta)

I must be feeling a little home sick lately,been cooking a few Maltese dishes. This is a traditional Maltese pasta dish. Very easy to make and quite tasty too. All basic ingredients that one should have in the cupboard or fridge. So if you're one of those that stress out what to cook everyday. You will like this . Well I used to be terrible. I'd wake up everyday with a thought in my head. WHAT SHALL I COOK TODAY. I hated it , I came up with a timetable now. I do it on Wednesday's normally. So then I'm sorted for the following week. In the morning I just open my diary and check what needs to come out of the freezer. Stress free!

Baked Macaroni

Ingredients

300g of pasta (macaroni)
500g minced beef
3 rashers of bacon
2 boiled eggs
1 beaten egg
1 onion
1 carrot
2 garlic cloves
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbs tomato puree'
1 tbs curry powder
2 bay leaves
200ml of double cream
Seasoning
Cheddar cheese

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35/40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves : 6
Level : Easy

Method


Boil some water and drop in two eggs , to hard boil them. They need about 6/7 minutes to cook. Then leave them aside to cool before pealing them and using them. Chop all the vegetables and fry in a deep pan for about 10 minutes on a low flame. Add the mince and the bacon, turn the heat up a little. Keep an eye on it. When brown all over ,add the curry powder and the bay leaf. Drop in a good splash of Worcester sauce, you can use a glass of wine if you like. As I already said before, in this case I find it a bit of a waste. Break a vegetable stock cube in and add the chopped tomatoes and the paste followed by a pinch of sugar. Fill the tomato can with water and pour in the sauce. Leave to simmer for about 15 minutes uncovered. Boil your pasta al dente , drain and leave on the side. Peel the eggs and chop them up. In the same pot you boiled the pasta, tip the pasta back in and stir in the sauce (remove the bay leaves) and the eggs. Season. Beat an egg in. Get the oven proof dish and start transferring your pasta in the dish. I do it in thirds and in between I drizzle a third of the double cream. Dish will keep it nice an moist in the middle trough the cooking time. Cover with a lot of cheese on top and put in a preheated oven 190 degrees for 35/40 minutes . Leave to cool for ten minutes before dishing in your plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment